We are currently looking for a Part time Commissioning Editor to join our team in Oxford on a 12-month FTC.
The Commissioning Editor is responsible for the delivery of market-focussed digital educational resources, from commissioning authoring to the final digital files published online. Working closely with the Head of Production or Publisher, the Commissioning Editor takes ownership of projects by proactively engaging and managing external suppliers and internal design, development and editorial personnel attached to the project. The Commissioning Editor is also responsible for helping to form and carry out a publishing strategy that meets the overall aims of the company.
Who are we?
GL Assessment is the leading provider of formative assessments to UK schools, as well as providing assessments for overseas ministries and British, bilingual and international schools in over 100 countries worldwide. Our Oxford office; Boardworks forms part of the GL Assessment group which focuses on delivering high quality education resources that cover UK, US and international curricula and are a good fit for current classroom practices. The ideal candidate should have an interest in the education sector or digital publishing, strong editorial skills and strong, professional communication skills.
- The Commissioning Editor will manage a selection of subjects for UK, US and international schools for publication on Boardworks’ educational platforms.
- The Commissioning Editor will research and propose new projects within their subject areas that fit with the overall Boardworks and GL publishing strategy.
- The Commissioning Editor takes ownership of the project schedule and budget and ensures quality control of all content from authoring handover to publication, across all stages.
- The Commissioning Editor maintains project schedules, anticipating potential risks and delays and acting to mitigate them where possible, keeping stakeholders informed.
- The Commissioning Editor is responsible for contracting and briefing external suppliers (authors, designers, editors, proof-readers, audio studios, reviewers) and managing their services.
- The Commissioning Editor manages editors and senior editors on their projects and works effectively with other teams within Boardworks and GL Assessment on synergistic projects.
- The Commissioning Editor will assist the Head of Production with recruitment of new production team members as required and contribute feedback on the performance of the Editors and Senior Editors they work with.
- The Commissioning Editor will be responsible for organising project meetings and one-to-one meetings with the Editors and Senior Editors on their projects to maintain performance and clear communication about any changes to the project’s development and priorities.
- The Commissioning Editor will carry out editing, typesetting and proofreading tasks for multiple projects.
What are we looking for?
- At least three years’ digital editorial experience and experience of managing multiple projects.
- At least two years’ educational editorial experience.
- Proven copy editing and proof-reading skills.
- Budget and schedule management.
- Awareness of the UK, US and international educational market
- Ability to create projects that fit a market need and business objectives.
- Educated to degree level.
- Experience working with Photoshop and Flash, or other graphic animation software and adept at learning new software quickly.
- Experience of working with content management systems.
- Proficiency working with e-learning authoring tools.
- Experience working with external authors and other suppliers.
- Experience of working with international markets.
- Experience working across a range of educational subjects and willingness to work on a wide range of subjects.
- Publishing qualification.
- Teaching or tutoring experience.
Hours: Part time, 3 days per week
Salary: £27,000 - £30,340 FTE
- Access to a benefits and discount platform with access to 1000’s of discounts at retailers, leisure attractions and restaurants (GLEe provided by Reward Gateway)
- BUPA Healthcare, Life assurance
- Weekly fruit platters, parking facilities
- Pension scheme with enhanced employer contributions
- Season ticket loan, childcare assistance/ vouchers
- Generous Annual Leave (including a day off for your birthday)
To apply please send in your CV and cover letter explaining why you are interested, why we should meet you and your salary expectations to email@example.com