You are hereHome › Non-Verbal Reasoning
A standardised assessment series that measures pupils' ability to engage in key reasoning processes with context-free visual information.
- Available in both paper and digital formats
- Suitable for pupils aged 8 to 14 years
- Can be administered individually or in a group setting.
Non-Verbal Reasoning involves no reading, so can provide insight into the abilities of pupils who think more easily in images than words and those who have limited reading skills, for example dyslexics, poorly motivated pupils who haven’t learned to read, or those who speak English as an Additional Language (EAL).
The designs used within the tests are also not culturally specific and involve very little mathematical knowledge, so that only reasoning skills are assessed. By testing such basic learning processes these assessments can provide valid indicators of future academic performance in certain subjects including Maths, Science and Design and Technology, as well as, enhancing your knowledge of a pupil’s abilities to help inform teaching strategies. A short practice test ensures that all pupils understand what is expected of them before they start the test.
Why use Non-Verbal Reasoning?
- Non-Verbal Reasoning is ideal for helping you assess the abilities of dyslexic pupils or others who are stronger at thinking via the visual medium, particularly as it involves no reading or aural comprehension
- Identifies the potential in all pupils as the assessment is word-free and non-culturally specific, and therefore not biased towards any social, cultural or linguistic group
- You will be able to compare your pupils’ results with the national average through the identification of Standard Age Scores
- It is suitable for pupils with English as an Additional Language (EAL)
- Results can be used for individual target-setting and to inform teaching strategies.
Scoring and Reporting Service
Our service takes the work out of using Verbal Reasoning to deliver fast and accurate results in a range of reports tailored to your needs. The scoring service is delivered on our Testwise Reporting Service (TRS), our online reporting system.
Online Marking Tool
Take the work out of marking and interpreting your Verbal Reasoning data with our Online Marking Tool!
Call 0845 602 1937 to find out more.
Teachers Guide Packs contain:
- Teacher's Guide
- At-a-Glance Guide.