You are hereHome › New Group Reading Test
The third edition of the best selling Group Reading Test for screening and monitoring.
The New Group Reading Test (NGRT) is the third edition of the best selling Group Reading Test (GRT) (pupil booklets for GRT are no longer available), developed by GL Assessment and the National Foundation for Educational Research (NFER).
Easy to score and administer, NGRT is an ideal screening/monitoring test for groups of pupils. It enables the assessment of reading and comprehension in a single test, helping to identify, for instance, competent readers with weak comprehension skills who would benefit from a follow-up individual assessment and learning support. The assessment also measures how a pupil is performing compared to their peers at a national level. Watch the video below to learn about NGRT.
Developed in response to feedback from teachers, NGRT includes sentence completion and passage comprehension at all levels and lasts approximately 45-50 minutes. The new edition also features a single test for pupils aged 6 (Y1/P2) with a mix of tasks, testing phonics, sentence-completion and reading comprehension.
Download this pdf to read more about how the NGRT combines sentence completion and passage comprehension in a single test, including how to compare the scores and an example case study.
With the addition of this new single test for pupils aged 6 (Y1/P2) and equivalent form tests for pupils aged 14-16, NGRT is now suitable for use with GCE/GCSE pupils, enabling progress to be tracked across the primary and secondary stages.
Why use NGRT?
- NGRT is the reading assessment of choice for many as it allows the assessment of reading and comprehension in a single test, whilst providing a wealth of diagnostic information
- NGRT will provide you with comprehensive overview of a pupil’s reading and comprehension ability whilst identifying areas where they may be experiencing difficulties, to better inform target-setting
- You will be provided with overall scores broken down into separate scale scores, showing how sentence completion scores compare to those for comprehension, allowing for the implementation of better intervention strategies
- The assessment is an ideal tool for monitoring progress over time and facilitates the evaluation of teaching methods
- It is an ideal as a group screening test to identify those pupils who need to be assessed individually by a specialist for Access Arrangements
- You will receive standard age scores, age equivalent scores and National Curriculum Levels for reading.
Teacher Guide Packs contain:
Teacher's Guide, Sample Pupil Booklets and At-a-Glance Guide for each Level.
NGRT Scoring & Reporting Service
Take the work out of marking, managing and interpreting your New Group Reading Test data with our comprehensive New Group Reading Test Scoring & Reporting Service!