The Cognitive Abilities Test: Fourth Edition (CAT4) is the most widely used test of reasoning ability in the UK.
CAT4 is the fourth edition of GL Assessment’s Cognitive Abilities Test, the UK’s most widely used test of reasoning abilities. Fully standardised on 25,000 UK pupils, the suite of tests has been developed to support schools in understanding pupils’ developed abilities and likely academic potential. Results from CAT4 can help in intervention, monitoring progress and setting targets for future attainment.
Aimed at pupils between 7:06 to 17+ years, the test is available in both paper and digital formats and can be administered individually or in a group setting. Watch the video below to learn about CAT4.
Please note: This product cannot be sold to parents/home users. Available to schools only.*
CAT4 assesses a pupil’s ability to reason with and manipulate different types of material through a series of Verbal, Non-Verbal, Quantitative and Spatial Ability tasks. Together, these four tests provide teachers with a comprehensive profile of a pupil’s reasoning abilities, and as such the core abilities related to learning.
The resulting data can then be used to identify a pupil’s strengths, weaknesses and learning preferences, providing accurate and reliable information that is essential for personalised learning. The more we know about a pupil, the better position we should be in to offer a learning environment and ways of teaching and learning that allow pupils to maximise their potential. Information about a pupil’s reasoning ability will be key to many decisions and should be considered alongside attainment data and other factors known to impact on learning, such as attendance and attitude.
For a comphrensive insight into CAT4, please download our CAT4 Assessment Overview.
Why use CAT4?
- CAT4 identifies a pupil’s strengths, weaknesses and learning preferences, providing accurate and reliable information that is essential for personalised learning
- CAT4 is unique in the way it can ‘unlock potential’ – that is, identify a pupil with high level ability who may have been overlooked or who is in danger of underachieving
- A new Spatial Ability test has been developed building on the latest research which confirms the importance of assessing pupils’ spatial ability in order to develop and support spatial skills which are so important across the curriculum and the basis for success in STEM subjects and careers
- Results from CAT can help in intervention, monitoring progress and setting targets for future attainment.
- A brand new suite of easy-to-understand reports offer richer and far more comprehensive assessment data
- Different reports are available for teachers, senior leaders, parents and pupils in a number of formats
- CAT4 has been newly standardised to provide accurate, up-to-date data
- It can used to inform appropriate target-setting, with indicators of attainment provided at KS2, KS3, GCSE, AS/A Level, Scottish Standard Grade and Intermediate 1 and 2.
Teachers Guide Pack contains:
- Administration Information, Scoring & Reporting details and Technical Information.
- Student Books and Answer Sheets are purchased separately.
This product is for use in schools only and can only be purchased by schools. Parents and home users cannot buy this product - if you add it to your basket your order will not be fulfilled. Find out more or see full terms and conditions.
Are you a CAT3 user?
CAT3 is still available in paper and digital formats. Find out more about CAT3.