You are hereHome › British Picture Vocabulary Scale: Third Edition
A revised edition of the UK's leading vocabulary assessment for standard English.
GL Assessment’s leading vocabulary assessment for standard English, the British Picture Vocabulary Scale: Third Edition (BPVS3), can play an important role in assessing a child’s receptive (hearing) vocabulary, from as young as 3 years right up to 16 years of age. Its simple, appealing format and ease of administration belies the significance of the assessment and how it can help identify any delay in vocabulary development, even before children are in full time education.
BPVS3 is a one-to-one test that assesses a child’s receptive vocabulary; for each question, the teacher says a word and the pupil responds by selecting a picture from four options that best illustrates the word’s meaning.
As no reading is required, BPVS3 can be used to assess language development in non-readers and especially pupils with expressive language impairments. Because no spoken response is required, the assessment may be administered to pupils with autism and other related communication difficulties or those with English as an Additional Language (EAL). To help with administration to pupils who may be colour blind the illustrations have black outlines and the colours are vivid.
Why use BPVS3?
- BPVS3 will help you identify any delays in a child’s vocabulary development, even before they are in full time education, informing intervention strategies to help extend their vocabulary
- The assessment is suitable for non-readers and children with specific learning difficulties, such as autism or cerebral palsy, as no reading is required and responses can be given by pointing or gesture
- BPVS3 is time-efficient and can be used as an ideal benchmarking and progress-checking assessment from pre-school to secondary school
- The fully revised edition features full colour illustrations and improved presentation with a larger format and transportable carry case
- All illustrations featured within the test have black outlines and use vivid colours to help with administration to children who may be colour blind.
Complete set contents
- Test material
- 20 Record Forms
- Carry Case.